June 2016 media round up
On 23 June our Chief Executive, Sarah Sleet took part in a number of interviews on radio shows across the country to highlight the importance of staple gluten-free food on prescription.
The interviews, which kicked off on national Radio 5 Live just after 7am and the last one at 8pm, were aired to 40 regional BBC radio stations. There were over 60 pieces of coverage on radio stations across the day including interviews with case studies, CCG’s and listener phone ins. More details can be found on our website but please note some of the listen again links expire after a period of time.
In addition to radio interviews, BBC Look North TV also interviewed case studies and Chair of our Health Advisory Council, Professor Dave Sanders.
We are still seeing coverage across the media about our Awareness Week which has recently included articles in:
- The Caterer - Knorr dispels gluten myths during Coeliac UK Awareness Week
- BBC Good Food - 10 foods you think are gluten-free but aren’t
- Caterer Licensee and Hotelier- KNORR® Dispels Gluten-Free Myths During Coeliac UK Awareness Week
- Lancashire Evening Post- Mum warns anaemia could be first sign of coeliac disease
- Cost Sector Catering- Aviko raises £500 for Coeliac UK
- Crumbs MagazineHouse call: Caroline Quentin
- Middlewich Guardian - Do you show coeliac signs?
Our Is it coeliac disease? pop up event in Glasgow gained lots of excellent coverage including:
- The Herald - First step to tackling coeliac disease
- Glasgow Evening News- Thousands of Glaswegians suffering from cancer-causing condition but remain undiagnosed
- Sunrise FM - Is It Coeliac? Campaign Comes To Glasgow
- Daily Record - Mum says 'Eating gluten is like poison for us' as 3 generations of her family live with coeliac disease.
Nationally, after six months wait, a case study feature on coeliac disease and lactose intolerance was published in the Daily Mail. The paper has covered a number of articles mentioning coeliac disease and gluten-free including:
- Is it just tiredness or something more sinister? Revealed, the illnesses that can take up to 30 YEARS to be diagnosed
- Where to eat out with a food allergy: Guide reveals the best UK restaurants to visit if you are intolerant to gluten, dairy or nuts
- Sausage roll specialists Greggs to offer more healthy options as customer demand surges.
Other online national coverage includes:
- The Guardian- Don’t blame the wellness fad for anorexia
- Runner’s World - Dietitians reveal the most misguided weight loss advice they’ve heard
- The Mirror - Mum says 'Eating gluten is like poison for us' as 3 generations of her family live with coeliac disease
- Daily Express - Stomach ache and abdominal pain? Beat bloating in seven days by doing THIS
- The Week- What is gluten and should it be avoided?
- Daily Telegraph - 'Clean eating puts pressure on women'
- Huffington Post - Gluten-Free Diets Are ‘Not Healthier’ If You Don’t Have Coeliac Disease, Doctors Warn.
Regionally coverage has appeared in:
- Edinburgh News- Dancer set to run Edinburgh Marathon for coeliac charity that changed her life
- Galloway Gazette- Charity tractor run raises £3500
- Wales online - People are too embarrassed to talk about intestinal problems or give samples to their GP
- The Gazette - Love fish and chips but don't eat gluten? This takeaway has the answer
- Hampshire Life- Gluten-free Hampshire: Restaurants, cafes, pubs and producers
- Bakery Info - TOWIE star promotes the health benefits of bread
- Newbury Today - Waitrose Newbury supports Give and Gain Day
- Bury Times - More support for people with food allergies in Bury on the way.
Whilst in catering and medical trade publications coverage has been published in:
- European Supermarket Magazine - Free From/Functional Food Expo Kicks Off Next Week
- Cost Sector Catering- Grappling with gluten
- Great British Chefs - Incog-wheato: unmasking the hidden gluten in everyday ingredients
- The Lancet - Genetic risk factors for type 1 diabetes
- Nursing Times - Osteoporosis: the clinical nurse specialist role.
There was also an article in Third Sector article about our TV advert which was also picked up by The Times. Other coverage in hard copy of national and trade magazines which has been published recently includes:
- People’s Friend
- Nursing in Practice
- Healthy Food Guide
- Woman’s Fitness
- Gluten-free Heaven
- Health Food Business
- Reader’s Digest
- Quick Bite Magazine
- Journal of Community Nursing
- Scottish Grocer
- OOH Magazine
- OK Magazine
- Essentially Catering
- Pub & Bar Magazine
- Training Matters.