Changes to GF prescribing in North Kirklees & Greater Huddersfield CCGs
10 January 2017
We are very disappointed to tell you that the CCGs have announced the decision to stop prescribing gluten-free foods.
This decision has been made despite the fact that of those receiving gluten-free food on prescription 83% either disagreed or strongly disagreed with the proposal.
While the CCGs have made this decision, we would like to stress that the final decision about what to prescribe lies with your GP. We would therefore encourage you to have a discussion with your GP about gluten-free food on prescription if you are concerned about the impact this may have on you being able to manage your gluten-free diet.
We understand the importance of access to gluten-free products on prescription for people with coeliac disease, particularly those on low incomes or those only able to shop in small convenience stores which do not stock staple gluten-free foods.
We are concerned that the measures taken by the CCG to save money will affect people’s ability to stick to the gluten-free diet and in turn increase the likelihood of complications of coeliac disease such as osteoporosis. As well as the suffering this may cause, it will also cost the NHS more in the long term.
Have your say
If you would like to oppose the prescription cuts, there are several things that you can do:
- Contact the local Healthwatch by calling on 01924 450379 or writing to Healthwatch Kirklees, Unit 11, Empire House, Wakefield Road, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, WF12 8DJ
- Contact your CCG, if you don’t know which CCG area you live in you can check on our website or you can ask us by calling on 0333 332 2033
- Contact North Kirklees CCG by emailing (email@example.com), writing to NHS North Kirklees CCG, 4th Floor, Empire House, Wakefield Old Road, Dewsbury, WF12 8DJ or calling on 01924 504900
- Contact Greater Huddersfield CCG by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org), writing to NHS Greater Huddersfield Clinical Commissioning Group, Bradley Business Park, Dyson Wood Way, Bradley, Huddersfield, HD2 1GZ or calling on 01484 464000
- Write to your local MP, we have a sample letter on our website which you can use, or please feel free to write your own letter explaining how the changes will affect you
- Speak with your local GP about your individual case
- Watch out for more information on next campaign steps particularly on our website
Share your story
As part of our work in opposing prescription cuts, we are looking for people affected by these cuts to act as case studies. This will enable us to give examples to the media of how this policy change has affected people with coeliac disease. To become a case study or to find out more about interview opportunities please call us on 0333 332 2033.
We will continue to make strong representations to the CCG on the issue and will seek the support of clinicians in the area. We will be asking the CCG how the impact of the change on the long term health of people with coeliac disease will be monitored.
We will also keep you informed about our campaigns and research and let you know about developments in gluten-free prescribing in Crossed Grain magazine, our electronic newsletters and on our website.