Visiting the UK
If you have coeliac disease and are visiting the UK from another country, we can help you make your visit an enjoyable one.
Before you book a hotel, contact them in advance to ask if they are able to cook gluten free meals for you. When you arrive at your hotel check again with staff at reception. When you have your first meal, check again with the waiter.
Many of the larger hotels prefer to discuss the menu with you to find out which of the meals are gluten free or which ones can be adapted.
There is a wide variety of restaurant chains and independent restaurants that are able to provide gluten free meals. The key is to pick your menu choices wisely and ask lots of questions. We have lots of advice about eating out.
We can provide a list of restaurants in the area you are visiting which have been recommended by our members. Contact us for further details.
There is generally a good range of gluten free foods available. You can buy gluten free foods from supermarkets, health food stores and from some pharmacies. Find out more about food shopping.
- The main supermarkets in the UK are Tesco, ASDA, Morrison’s, Waitrose and Sainsbury's.
- Specialist gluten free products can be found in the free from aisle in supermarkets.
- Many supermarkets use a gluten free symbol on some of their products.
- All packaged foods bought in the UK are covered by labelling laws which mean that you can tell whether a product contains gluten or not.
- Health food stores such as Julian Graves and Holland & Barratt usually stock gluten free foods.
- Some of the larger pharmacies will stock gluten free foods, while others will be able to order products for you to collect the following day. These special gluten free foods can be expensive, so ask the price before you place your order.
Longer stays in the UK
If you are planning to stay in the UK for a long time, you may like to get in touch with other people in the area with coeliac disease. Coeliac UK has a wide network of Local Groups throughout the UK who have lots of local information about where to eat and buy gluten free in the area. Find the group nearest to you.