Gluten free on the move app
Our app is available in the App Store for iOS devices and in the Google Play Store for Android devices.
Managing your gluten free diet while out and about can be a challenge as our increasingly busy lifestyles mean we're doing more on the hop. Our smartphone app, Gluten free on the Move, aims to help make eating out easier for you.
Choose from over 7,000 venues, using the reviews and ratings from our vibrant gluten free community and not only that, you can search for our GF accredited venues so you know which places have gone that extra mile and used our expertise in all things gluten free to make their gluten free food and practices even better.
Who can use the app?
The app is part of the membership offering so you must be a member of the charity to access the app’s services. Once downloaded you'll need to login (using the same login credentials you do for our website and Gluten Free Food Checker app).
The app works on the following phones:
- iPhone 4 and above
- Android smartphones that can download apps – for example Samsung Galaxy. See our full list of supported devices.
Using the app on an iPad, iPad mini, iPod
You can download the app to your iPad following these instructions:
- change your settings in the app store to show 'iPhone only'
- search for Gluten free on the Move.
As the app is developed for iPhone it will work on an iPad but there may be issues with formatting so we’d recommend viewing the Venue Guide on our website via Safari on your iPad.
Windows phones and Blackberry smartphones
Developing the app for each device requires additional investment. We have chosen to develop the app for the iPhone and Android because our membership surveys indicate that these devices are the most commonly used. However, as with all technology, the situation is constantly changing and we will be monitoring trends to assess when investment in new platforms for the app is justified, including Windows phones and Blackberry smartphones.
For more information, read our FAQs on the app.
- Make sure your phone has internet access through WiFi, 4G or 3G.
- On your phone, visit the Apple store (if you have an iPhone) or the Google Play Store (if you have an Android phone) and search for ‘Gluten free on the move’.
- Download and install the app.
- Once downloaded, open the app and select the login button. Enter the same login details as your Coeliac UK website account. If you have not yet created login details for our website, find out how to do this.
Hints and tips
- You need to be connected to the Internet via WiFi, 4G or 3G when searching the venue guide unless you have previously downloaded all data to your device.
- The first time you access the app it will download the most recent venue listings. This will only take a few moments to complete and you can view the other content in the meantime, such as our eating out tips and living gluten free information.
- Internet connection is needed for app updates, so try to do the updates on your phone when you’re connected to WiFi for optimum performance. The same goes for submitting a venue recommendation and sending us an email via the app.
Push notifications will be used to provide you with important updates so it's really useful for you to have these allowed for the app. You can find out more about these notifications and how to switch them on in the FAQs.