Tangy tea cake
Credited to: Mrs Judith Brown
- 280g (10oz) self-raising gluten-free flour*
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder*
- 1 tsp mixed ground spice*
- 1/2 orange zest and juice
- 250ml (9fl oz) hot boiling tea
- 225g (8oz) demerara sugar
- 400g (14oz) mixed dried fruit
- Put the mixed dried fruit, sugar, boiling hot tea and orange zest and juice in a large mixing bowl. Stir well and cover with a tea towel and leave overnight but not in the fridge.
- Next day preheat the oven at 190°C/ 375°F/ Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease the sides of the cake tin and put a liner in the base
- Stir the mixture and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and put in a round 19cm (7.5inch) cake tin
- Put in the centre of the oven and cook for 40 minutes. After about 30 minutes you may need to cover the top of your cake to make sure it does not burn.
- Test the centre of the cake with a skewer to make sure the cake is cooked.
Notes: *Please check your Food and Drink Directory for suitable products.