Roasted Beetroot, Garlic and Walnut Puree with Shredded Prosciutto
This sweet and earthy topping tastes great and packs a nutritional punch. Beetroot contains nitrate, which helps open blood vessels in the body with the resulting effect of helping to lower blood pressure, and similar benefits come from garlic’s sulphur compound, allicin. Walnuts are one of the best sources of omega-3 essential fats, the most common essential fat that people lack in their diets - and this type of fat also benefits cardiovascular health and blood pressure. Team this topping with Nairn’s Gluten Free Oatcakes or Wholegrain Crackers, which are full of slow release energy for a tasty lunch option.
- 500g (17½oz) raw beetroot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50g (1½oz) walnuts
- Splash of apple cider vinegar
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil/coconut oil
- 4 tbsp (60g) natural or Greek yogurt
- Fresh dill
- Pack of Prosciutto
- Nairn’s Gluten Free Oatcakes or Wholegrain Crackers
- Chop 500g (17½oz) of raw beetroot and roast together with two cloves or garlic for 30 minutes on a medium temperature
- Once out of the oven, blend with all the remaining ingredients (apart from the prosciutto) and whizz until smooth
- Spread onto gluten free oatcakes and sprinkle with freshly chopped dill
- Add shredded prosciutto if desired.
Notes: *please check your Food and Drink Directory for suitable products.