Gluten free coconut and sultana flapjack bars
Buckwheat flakes are naturally gluten free and great for this recipe as an alternative to oats as I know some people can be sensitive to gluten free oats. Make sure that you buy ones that do not carry a “may contain” statement.
Credited to: Louise, Coeliac UK Home Economist
Difficulty: Pretty easy
- 200g (7oz) butter or margarine
- 200g (7oz) demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp (30g) golden syrup
- 275g (9½oz) buckwheat flakes*
- 100g (3½oz) desiccated coconut
- 100g (3½oz) sultanas
- 1 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Grease and line 8” x 10” baking tin with butter and baking parchment
- In a pan, melt the butter and sugar, together with the golden syrup
- Add the melted mixture to the buckwheat flakes, coconut, sultanas, and cinnamon, and mix all the ingredients together
- Spoon your mixture into your prepared tray baking tin. Make sure it is evenly pressed down
- Put the tray into the oven for about 25 minutes or until the mixture is golden
- Once done, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then cut into slices and placing on a cooling rack.
Notes: *Please check your Food and Drink Directory for suitable products.