If you are following a gluten free diet, it’s important to not undo all your good work by allowing your gluten free food to be contaminated with food that contains gluten.
Even tiny amounts of gluten may cause people with coeliac disease to have symptoms in the short term and gut damage in the longer term.
When you’re cooking at home, there are some simple steps to take that will help keep food preparation safe:
- wipe down surfaces
- clean pots and pans with soap and water
- Washing up liquids are fine to use and standard washing up liquid or using a dishwasher will remove gluten
- you do not need to use separate cloths or sponges
- you may want to get separate bread boards to keep gluten free and gluten-containing breads separate
- use a separate toaster or toaster bags
- use clean oil or a separate fryer for frying gluten free foods
- use different butter knives and jam spoons to prevent breadcrumbs from getting into condiments.