January - Oranges
Oranges belong to the citrus family and are actually a type of berry!
- Oranges are used in a wide variety of juices but can also be found in savoury dishes and desserts.
- Citrus fruits are very difficult to grow in Britain but if you want to have a go yourself, you can grow them in pots outside during summer and bring them in during winter.
- There are many types of oranges, Valencia, Navel and the more colourful blood variety.
- Oranges are a fantastic source of Vitamin C and folate which are important for maintaining healthy body tissues and blood formation.
- Try to include a variety of fruit and veg in your 5 a day to get a wide range of nutritional benefits like maintain a healthy weight, blood pressure and gut.
- 1 medium orange = 1 of your 5 a day
How to prepare:
- When buying oranges, the firmer, weightier ones tend to be juicier.
- Juicing – roll the orange on a flat surface before juicing, or heat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Zest – wash the skin thoroughly before grating.
- Most oranges will keep at room temperature for a few weeks.
We pulled together some of our delicious recipes using oranges for you to try below. Alternatively search our recipe collection for more inspiring recipes.