Gluten Free Simnel Traybake
Find all the seasonal flavours in this simple gluten free Easter traybake - great also to make with children. The number of marzipan balls on Simnel cake is traditionally eleven, representing the apostles of Christ, minus Judas.
Credited to: Freee
Difficulty: Pretty easy
- 175g FREEE Self Raising White Flour
- 1 tsp FREEE Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 3 eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 150g mixed dried fruits
- 200g marzipan
- 200g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 25g flaked almonds
Notes: *Search our online food and drink information for suitable products.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 20x30cm/8x10” traybake tin or insert a cake liner and pre-heat the oven to 170°C, Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas 3.
- Put the flour, xanthan gum and mixed spice into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Measure the caster sugar and butter into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Break one egg into the bowl and beat to incorporate.
- Add the ground almonds and stir.
- Break the remaining eggs into the bowl one at a time beating well between each one.
- Tip in the prepared flour and stir to incorporate.
- Stir in the mixed dried fruit.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tray and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut the marzipan into 11 equal pieces and roll them into balls.
- Put the marzipan balls under a hot grill for a few minutes to lightly brown the tops. Remove and leave to cool.
- Toast the flaked almonds under the grill for two minutes until light golden brown.
- Put the icing sugar into a bowl, add the lemon juice and stir into a smooth icing.
- Spread the icing thinly over the cold traybake.
- Before the icing sets, place the marzipan balls randomly onto the traybake and scatter over the toasted almonds.
- Slice the traybake and store in a tin.