Crossed Grain licensing
- Gain a competitive market edge by certifying your products gluten free with the internationally recognised Crossed Grain Trademark
- This products certification scheme represents safety and trust to the gluten free consumer meaning they can quickly and easily recognise products that are safe
- Using the Crossed Grain certification you can be confident you can meet the key compositional requirements for producing gluten free foods
- We can help you achieve such requirements and take you on a journey that doesn’t stop once certification is awarded
In an environment where food labels and legislative changes can be bewildering for someone on a gluten free diet, the Crossed Grain Trademark has proven to provide consumers with a quick reference point. When faced with uncertainty on the gluten status of a product it plays an important role in influencing people making gluten free product choices.
The Crossed Grain Trademark is an internationally registered Trademark and can only be used under licence on food and drink products that meet our criteria.
There are two different types of Crossed Grain Trademark gluten free product certification: Europe and Global. Our certification packs will help you to choose the correct type of certification and explain the application process in full. Please get in touch if you’d like more information.
Criteria for certification
To use the Crossed Grain Trademark, your products must meet a range of criteria to ensure that they are gluten free, both in terms of the ingredients and the production process.
- Products must be multiple ingredient and/or processed products. For a full list of products that cannot be licensed see Appendix One ‘List of food products which are not permitted to bear the Crossed Grain Trademark’ in the certification pack
- Products must be tested for gluten content using a UKAS or equivalently accredited laboratory.
- Production facilities must meet the requirements of the AOECS Standard for Gluten Free Foods
More about the testing and auditing requirements can be found here.
The certification lasts for a full year from the date that the certification is taken out. We charge an annual certification fee which varies according to the turnover and exports of the gluten free products listed in the certification.
The benefits of taking out a licence with Coeliac UK
The licence package includes:
- Licence to use the Crossed Grain Trademark on all approved product packaging, marketing, website, point of sales and promotions.
- Ability to use approved promotional phrases in your marketing communications and on product packaging.
- A 5% discount on all Coeliac UK advertising (not valid in conjunction with any other discount).
- Inclusion of all products listed as ‘Crossed Grain certified’ in the Coeliac UK Food Information Service
- Annual printed Food and Drink guide
- Online Food and Drink information (updated monthly)
- Gluten Free Food Checker mobile app (updated monthly)
- Inclusion of company details on the Coeliac UK website within the Crossed Grain licensees Directory.
- Announcement of certification on our monthly Products and Offers e-newsletter and social media channels+.
- Certificate of licence
- Opportunities to be included in a variety of marketing and networking activities undertaken by Coeliac UK where available and applicable.
(+Only applicable to products sold within the UK)
Chris Hook, Head of Marketing, Warburton's says:
"Choosing what to buy can be a minefield for a gluten free consumer, and it’s important to provide easy to identify information on pack to help them feel confident in their choices at shelf. Being certified by Coeliac UK offers consumers the reassurance they need and we have used the Crossed Grain trademark on pack since we launched our gluten free range in 2011.”