- Once diagnosed with coeliac disease, follow up is important to ensure adherence to the gluten free diet, monitoring of symptoms and assessment of complications of coeliac disease
- Certain vaccinations are recommended for people with coeliac disease due to a higher prevalence of hyposplenism in coeliac disease
- People with coeliac disease should be offered an annual review
Guidelines for management of coeliac disease
The following guidelines are available on the management of coeliac disease:
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NG20 NICE, 2015) Coeliac disease:recognition, assessment and management.
- British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition (BSPGHAN) and Coeliac UK (2013) Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of coeliac disease in children.
- British Society of Gastroenterology (2014) Diagnosis and management of adult coeliac disease:guidelines from the British Society of Gastroenterology.