Who we are
For nearly 50 years, we have been the experts on coeliac disease and the gluten free diet. We are an independent charity helping people living without gluten to live happier, healthier lives.
We do this by providing our 60,000 plus members with trustworthy advice and support, funding critical research into coeliac disease, working with healthcare professionals to improve diagnosis and fighting for better availability of gluten free food. And we do it all so that one day, no one’s life will be limited by gluten.
Meet the team
The Charity comprises five teams, covering a range of expertise. Our staff work from the Charity's main office in High Wycombe and our offices in Edinburgh and Cardiff.
Sarah Sleet, Chief Executive
Sarah joined Coeliac UK in 2005 from the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman’s office, where she worked closely at the heart of government to influence policy making. In her post at the Charity she has overseen a growth in the provision of services for over 60,000 Members, the largest research programme undertaken by the Charity and campaigning successes such as the first ever Government guideline on diagnosis of the condition. She has been closely involved with a number of research projects including a Health Foundation funded project looking to improve primary care management of coeliac disease and a European Commission funded project to develop new point of care testing. In 2009 Sarah became a Director of The Association of European Coeliac Societies, leading negotiations with the European Commission on gluten-free labelling laws and making contact with coeliac societies all over the world. In 2012, Sarah became a Council member of the British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition.
Brendan Harris, Director of Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
Brendan joined the Charity as Director of ICT in January 2012. Brendan has extensive experience in ICT strategies and social and digital technologies. His previous roles include working to deliver new digital service developments and joining up multiservice solutions.
He has advised at Board level around business strategy and planning taking leadership around use of the internet and internet applications, mobile applications, new technologies, innovation, talent and knowledge management strategy development.
Julia Malthouse, Director of Finance
Julia joined Coeliac UK in 2005. During her time at Coeliac UK she has progressed from Finance Assistant to Finance Manager and most recently has been appointed as Director of Finance. As well as taking a short sabbatical within the charity sector she has pursued her accountancy qualifications and became fully qualified in early 2012.
She has a range of experience within the charities sector and in the areas of change management, improving internal controls and systems development in particular. Julia also works as Company Secretary for Coeliac UK.
Norma McGough, Director of Policy, Research and Campaigns
Norma began her career as a registered dietitian in the National Health Service. In the last 20 years she has worked in the voluntary sector, heading teams at both Diabetes UK and Coeliac UK. Norma has been working at Coeliac UK since 2003 and is currently Director of Policy, Research and Campaigns.
As a member of the senior management team, her role is pivotal in the strategic development of the Charity’s knowledge base. Norma also plays a key representational role among key stakeholders in the health and food sectors.
Helen North, Director of Fundraising and Business Development
Helen joined Coeliac UK in September 2016 as Director of Fundraising, Volunteering and Communications. With nearly 25 years experience in the charity sector, she has held roles in both large and small organisations, ranging from Chief Executive to freelance fundraiser.
Helen’s role encompasses many of the supporter-engagement areas of the work of Coeliac UK, and with the three different teams works to deliver a positive experience for all our valued supporters, volunteers and contributors.
Maria O'Sullivan, Director of Marketing, Communications and Volunteering
Maria joined Coeliac UK in 2014 to provide maternity cover for the Head of Communications. From there, she managed the charity’s strategic review of its brand and implementation of its new look and feel, launched in early 2017.
For 25 years prior to joining the charity, Maria worked across the marketing communications and PR disciplines, building her expertise managing brand reviews, marketing campaigns and corporate issues across a diverse range of sectors from health insurance to water resource management. Supported by tertiary qualifications including a Master of Marketing and Bachelor of Business, Maria brings a strategic mindset and practical skills to managing the marketing, communications and volunteering teams within the charity and ensuring engagement and support for the charity and its aims continues to grow and strengthen.
Annette Woolman, Director of Membership and Services
Annette has worked in the Charity sector for over 11 years, including roles with the National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) and as a previous Trustee of a local Council for Voluntary Service. She joined Coeliac UK in 2008 as Membership Services Manager with a focus of streamlining the newly developed membership scheme.
In 2016 Annette was appointed Director of Membership and Services and, leading a team of eight, is involved with the strategic development, delivery and monitoring of services, adding value to the membership experience and encouraging new members and supporters to join Coeliac UK.
Chief Executive's Team
- Jean Christopher, Support Services Assistant
- Myles Fitt, Lead in Scotland
- Sally Malthouse, Business Services Manager
- Roshni Nambiar, Project Administrator
- Sarah Sleet, Chief Executive
- Barbara Barszcz, Accounts Assistant
- Julia Malthouse, Director of Finance
- Shane Stewart, Head of Finance
Policy, Research and Campaigns
- Tristan Humphreys, Lead in Wales
- Norma McGough, Director of Policy, Research and Campaigns
- Ruth Passmore, Health Policy Officer
- Heidi Urwin, Research Manager
- Sarah Collard, Food Policy Officer
Marketing, Communications and Volunteering
- Miranda Brooks, Head of Volunteer Development
- Jo Hancock, Head of Communications (on maternity leave)
- Connie Field, Publications and Information Officer
- Jordan O'Sullivan, Digital Communications Officer
- Maria O'Sullivan, Director of Marketing, Communications and Volunteering
- Aris Pollatos, Digital Media & Communications Officer
- Gary Richardson, Volunteers' Coordinator
Membership and Services
- Nicola Crawford-Taylor, Membership Helpline Dietitian (on maternity leave)
- Lorna Gardner, Membership Helpline Dietitian
- Angela Momen, Membership Helpline Adviser
- Kathryn Stokes, Membership Helpline Adviser
- Maria Tzanetou, Membership Helpline Dietitian
- Libby Willing, Membership Officer
- Annette Woolman, Director of Membership and Services
Fundraising and Commercial
- Zoë Bishop, Commercial Account Manager
- Laura Goudie, Commercial Account Manager - Advertising
- Nicola Kilminster, Fundraising Coordinator
- Anne Maloney, Commercial Account Manager
- Jo Mottram, Fundraising Coordinator
- Stuart Munday, Head of Fundraising
- Helen North, Director of Fundraising and Business Development
- Alice Rogers, Commercial Officer - Licencing
- Jaz Sakender, Commercial Officer - Catering
- Katie Stokes, Project and Events Coordinator
- Elizabeth Turner, Commercial Services & Business Development Manager
Information and Communications Technology
- David Greenwood, Database Analyst
- Brendan Harris, Director of ICT