How to report a food related problem

We often get asked about what you can do if you have a problem or concern about the safety of gluten free food. It is important to report these issues so that they can be investigated by the appropriate authority and protect other consumers.

Food businesses have a legal duty to sell food that is safe to eat, of a suitable standard and quality and is labelled properly.

For most food related problems your local authority are responsible for investigating the problem. They will investigate:

  • Complaints around food safety and hygiene practices e.g. cross contamination
  • Food that may have caused food poisoning
  • Food containing foreign bodies
  • Food sold beyond their “use by” date

Food Standards AgencyYou can find the local authority for any establishments by visiting the Food Standards Agency

If the issue is around misleading labelling or misleading claims this should be reported to Trading Standards.

If you need to report a food crime, this should be reported to Food Standards Agency. A food crime involves serious intentional dishonesty such as adulteration and is investigate by the National Food Crime Unit (NFCU). NFCU are a dedicated law enforcement function of the Food Standards Agency. 

Reporting a food issueIf you want to make a complaint about one of our GF accredited venues please contact us at In order for us to follow this up accordingly please provide the following details:

  • Name of venue
  • Date and approximate time of visit
  • Brief summary of complaint
  • If you have already made a formal complaint with the venue

At Coeliac UK, we’re always striving to make life better and easier for those following a gluten free diet– from medical research to fun recipes! An important part of this work is partnering up with other organisations to drive change. And we need your help too.

Want to report a reaction and help improve life for those on a gluten free diet

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) want to better understand the extent and nature of food hypersensitive reactions and near misses in and outside the home. They want to know about any reactions that have taken place in the past or any that take place between now and the end of February.

They have created a tool to gather information about where and how people have a food reaction or nearly have a food reaction but realised just in time before they ate the food. By reporting your reactions you can ensure that people with coeliac disease are equally represented.

The information gathered from the reaction reporting tool will be used to inform future policy development, areas for further research, and targeted communications campaigns. So by self-reporting your reactions you can have a positive impact on this important research.

Get involved