Oven baked polenta chips are great alternative to potato fries. We have a recipe here for homemade polenta prepared and then made into chips. We also tried the pre-made polenta chopped and baked, and it was ok.
Credited to: Coeliac UK
Difficulty: Pretty easy
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock*
- 375g instant polenta*
- 50g finely grated hard Italian cheese (optional)
- 1 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped fresh
- Sea and black pepper to taste
Notes: *Please check our Food and Drink Information for suitable products.
- Spray a 22 x 30cm baking tray with vegetable oil spray to lightly grease.
- Bring the gluten free stock to the boil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Using a whisk, stir in the polenta in a steady stream, whisking until all the polenta is all mixed into the stock.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens and polenta is soft. Remove from heat and stir in the hard Italian cheese (if using).
- Pour the polenta evenly over the base of the prepared baking tray and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Cover with cling film and set aside to cool. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight to set.
- Turn polenta onto a clean chopping board. Use a sharp knife. Cut lengthways into 2cm strips. Cut each strip into 8cm-long pieces.
- Place the chips into an oven tray. Add enough oil spray to give them an even coating.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Transfer polenta chips to a serving platter. Sprinkle with rosemary and season with sea salt flakes and pepper and serve.