Gluten Free Showstopper Meringue Stack
The meringue layers can be made up to a week ahead and kept in an airtight container. We made this recipe quite Christmassy with cherries, pomegranate, and Kirsch but you could easily make it for Easter, or Mothering Sunday.
Credited to: Coeliac UK
Difficulty: More of a challenge
- 6 large eggs whites
- 345g white caster sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp brandy or Kirsch
- 200g frozen cherries
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 450ml double cream
- 100g watermelon
- 100g pomegranate seeds
Notes: * Search our online food information for suitable products
- Heat oven to 120˚C fan/gas mark ½.
- Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment, draw separate 7” and 1” diameter circles on one sheet and spearate 5” and 3” diameter circles on the other.
- Place the egg whites into a large mixing bowl (making sure it’s grease-free before you start). Whisk the eggs with an electric mixer until they hold soft peaks. Then add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking continuously, until you have a thick and glossy meringue, which will hold up in a stiff peak on the end of the whisk.
- Cover each circle on the baking parchment with the meringue mix; each circle should look rustic and be about 1” deep.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- While the meringue is baking, make the cherry sauce by placing the sugar, cherries, brandy or Kirsch, and cinnamon into a small saucepan. Heat gently to dissolve the sugar, mix the cornflour to a slurry with a drop of water then add this to the cherries and simmer for 2 minutes. Cool completely, then reserve until needed.
- Slice the watermelon into 5mm slices. Using a star cutter cut out stars from the watermelon, then reserve until needed.
- Whip the double cream, and dollop on top of the 7”, 5”, and 3’ meringue circles. Then place the 7” on a plate, top with some of the cherry sauce and pomegranate seeds. Then place the 5” meringue onto the 7” layer, and again top with the cherry sauce etc. Repeat this with the 3” and 1” layer, until you have built the whole pyramid. Garnish the sides with watermelon stars.
- Serve with extra cherry sauce on the side.