Bean, Lentil and Chard Pie
This tasty vegetarian pie was a bit hit with my son. The lentils are a great source of iron and fibre. If you are short of time, you could swap the ingredients for making the tomato sauce for a carton of passata.
Credited to: Coeliac UK
Difficulty: Pretty easy
- 100g Puy lentils
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube* with 200ml boiling water
- ½ carrot (grated)
- ½ courgette (grated)
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans
- 100g chard (remove stems)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 800g potato (peeled and chopped)
- 25g butter
- 50ml milk
- 50g cheddar cheese
Notes: *Search our online food and drink directory for suitable products.
- Place potatoes in a pan and cook for 20minutes.
- Place the lentils in a saucepan and cover with boiling water by 2cm.
- Bring to the boil, removing any scum from the surface, then simmer slowly for 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Heat oil in the frying pan/large pot. Add onion and the chopped garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chopped tomato, puree, grated carrot, courgette and stock with water. Cook for 10mins, then blend until smooth with a food processor/ blender.
- Add butter beans, lentils, chard, paprika and cumin to the blended sauce. Cook for further 3-4minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain potatoes. Add butter, milk and cheddar cheese and mash.
- Place filling mix in casserole dish and top with mashed potato. Cook for 20-25minutes.