Fish and Black Bean Taco’s
This gluten free taco recipe screams flavour and colour. Great to prepare ahead and fill the tacos with the family.
Credited to: Coeliac UK
Difficulty: More of a challenge
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into rings
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, clove crushed
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 tbsp chipotle paste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes and 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp corn-flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500g cod fillet, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- coriander leaves
- ½ white cabbage, finely shredded
- 8 corn tortillas or taco’s*
Notes: *Please check our online food and drink information for suitable products.
- For the Mexican pickled onion, place all the ingredients into a small glass bowl and combine. Reserve in the fridge until needed.
- For the spiced refried beans, heat the oil and add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion becomes transparent, then add the garlic and beans, with a little bit of water, plus the chipotle paste and the dark brown sugar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes before mashing, then continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes stirring continually. Reserve until needed.
- In a bowl, mix together the corn flour spices for the fish, the add the fish, and tumble the pieces to coat with the spices.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and cook the fish for 2-3 minutes on each side on a medium heat.
- Warm the tortillas and assemble with the black beans, avocado, cabbage, fish, coriander, Mexican picked onions and lime wedges.