Hot Chocolate Cake
This deliciously impressive gluten free cake makes a wonderful centrepiece for celebrations like birthdays, parties and dinners.
Credited to: FREEE
Difficulty: More of a challenge
- 300g FREEE Self Raising White Flour
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g butter (or vegan butter)
- 4 eggs (or mix 4 tbsp FREEE Chickpea Flour + 8 tbsp water)
- 50g cocoa
- 175ml milk (or vegan milk)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- oil, for tins
- 250g butter (or vegan butter)
- 300g icing sugar
- 200g double cream (or vegan cream)
- 200g milk chocolate (or dairy free chocolate)
- 25g mini marshmallows (or vegan marshmallows)
- cocoa, for dusting
Notes: *search our online food and drink information for suitable products
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C, Fan 170°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
- Rub some oil around the inside of three 20cm/8" round baking tins or insert a baking liner.
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Break one egg (or add the chickpea flour + water) into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Sieve the cocoa into the bowl and stir to combine. Break the remaining eggs into the bowl, beating them in one at a time.
- Sieve half the prepared flour into the bowl and stir to combine, mix in the milk and vanilla extract and sieve the remaining flour into the bowl and beat well.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and smooth the top and bake for 30-35 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile make the buttercream filling, put the butter into a bowl and beat it until it is light and fluffy.
- Sieve the icing sugar into the bowl and beat to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the top of two cold cakes and spread it out evenly. Place one cake on top of the other and place the last sponge on top.
- For the chocolate ganache topping, put the cream into a saucepan over a medium heat.
- When the cream is almost boiling, remove from the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate.
- Allow the topping to cool stirring until it thickens slightly, spread the topping over the top and sides of the cake.
- Scatter marshmallows and sieve a little cocoa powder over the top to finish.