Rain or shine, we love to cook outside on the grill in summer time. Here are our expert tips for barbecuing on a gluten free diet, including some tasty recipes.
BBQ cross contamination
Separation is key when it comes to cross contamination. The main problem when cooking on a BBQ is that a gluten free sausage or burger can look very similar to one which contains wheat flour. To try and minimise the risk, follow our barbecuing tips:
- Use a clean BBQ grill.
- If you are using more than one disposable BBQ, keep one gluten free.
- Breadcrumbs can be a problem so make sure burger buns are separated and different chopping boards are used.
- Use separate tongs for meat, and separate serving spoons for any salads or accompaniments.
- Cooking all gluten free foods on the BBQ is the best way to avoid cross contamination, however if this isn't possible make sure the cook knows which foods are gluten free and cook them in a separate area of the grill.
We all have enjoyed these simple gluten free recipes when having a BBQ, check them out at the bottom of the page and have a go!
- BBQ Jerk chicken
- Caribbean BBQ jackfruit with vegetables
- Rice and peas
- Pork steaks with Asian inspired sauce
- Homemade BBQ sauce
- Asian slaw
- Sloe Ginger Sunshine
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Sticky BBQ Bananas
Vegetables, meat and fish
Plain vegetables, meat and fish are naturally gluten free. Some marinades have gluten in the ingredients so you should always check marinated vegetables and meats. Alternatively, you could try making your own gluten free marinade. Many burgers and sausages are labelled gluten free. If you're unsure, check out our Food and Drink Information.
Salads, relishes and sauces
Tomato ketchup and mayonnaise usually don't contain gluten but it's still best to check them. Salsas and salad dressings should be checked, or you can easily make your own.
All salad vegetables are gluten free. Why not try making a colourful summer salad? Use lettuce and other leaves like spinach and watercress as a base, then add extra flavour and texture with radishes, grated carrot, cucumber and tomatoes.