Whether it's the sun or rain beating down we love to cook outside on the grill. Here's all you need for barbecuing on a gluten free diet, with tips and recipes from our Coeliac UK Foodies.
BBQ Cross contamination
Separation is key when it comes to cross contamination. The main problem when cooking on a BBQ is that a gluten free sausage or burger can look very similar to one which contains wheat flour. To try and minimise the risk, follow our barbecuing tips:
- Use a clean BBQ grill.
- If you are using more than one disposable BBQ, keep one gluten free.
- Breadcrumbs can be a problem so make sure burger buns are separated and different chopping boards are used.
- Use separate tongs for meat, and separate serving spoons for any salads or accompaniments.
- Cooking all gluten free foods on the BBQ is the best way to avoid cross contamination, however if this isn't possible make sure the cook knows which foods are gluten free and cook them in a separate area of the grill.
We all have enjoyed these simple gluten free recipes when having a BBQ, check them out at the bottom of the page and have a go!
- Nicola's Vegetable and Marinated Halloumi Kebabs and Sloe Ginger Sunshine
- Lorna's Lemon, Honey and Thyme Chicken
- Naomi's Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Sam's Sticky BBQ Bananas
- Louise's Hot Dog Rolls
Vegetables, meat and fish
Plain vegetables meat and fish are naturally gluten free. Some marinades have gluten in the ingredients so you should either check marinated vegetables and meats or you could try making your own marinade. Many supermarkets and brands burgers and sausages are labelled gluten free, if you're unsure check out our food and drink directory.
Salads, relishes and sauces
Tomato ketchup and mayonnaise usually don't contain gluten but it's best to check these. Salsas and salad dressings should be checked, or you can easily make your own.
All salad vegetables are gluten free so you can make a colourful summer salad with lettuce and other leaves like spinach and watercress and other vegetables like radishes, grated carrot, cucumber and tomatoes.
Submit any BBQ recipes you have to share, sign up or log in to see our fantastic BBQ recipes below.