- 275g/10 oz cooking apples peeled cored and diced
- 125g/4½ oz raisins
- 110g/4 oz margarine
- 110g/4 oz Dark brown soft sugar
- 4 x 15 ml tbsp water
- 250g/9 oz Glutafin select fibre mix
- 1½ x 5 ml tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 x 5 ml tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 medium eggs (lightly whisked)
- 25g/1 oz demerera sugar to top if required
Oven temperature: 180 C / Gas mark 4
Makes: 1 x 23cm/9" Tray bake (12 cake squares)
Soaking time: 60 minutes
- Place diced apple, butter and water in a large mixing bowl. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes to soften the apple. Mash lightly with a fork. Add the sugar and raisins and microwave for a further 5 – 8 minutes. Stir and set aside for 1 hour. Mash any remaining apple pieces to a puree.
- Stir in the remaining cake ingredients and beat together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into a 23cm/ 9” greased and lined square baking tin. Sprinkle with the Demerara sugar and bake until golden and just firm to the touch.